Tuesday 17 April 2012

Japanese Pattern Winter Jacket

Hello.
I am getting ready for Winter and have just finished another jacket for my daughter.


I used this pattern from one of my Japanese pattern books.
I loved this jacket from the moment I saw it.


I did encounter a couple of problems making it though. I used a pin striped velvet fabric and looking at the photos in the book I think they used a more stretchy fabric. Because of this I had a problem with the sleeves. They were supposed to fit in flat but I was unable to stretch the armhole so instead I had to slightly gather the sleeve. Not a major issue.

The collar had 2 pieces, one a little smaller than the other. I'm sure I was supposed to stretch the smaller piece so that when the collar was turned the seam would sit underneath. Well I couldn't stretch it here either so I just cut the 2 pieces the same size and made a regular collar.

The only other problem I had was with the buttonholes...those damn little buttonholes.
I even changed my needle for a sharp new one and still had issues. The first 2 worked like a dream but when sewing the top 2, my thread kept snapping and the feed dogs wouldn't feed my fabric through. So they ended up looking like this:


I like the pin tuck detail on the bodice though :)


We haven't really had much Winter weather here yet but I was pleased to get a little rain today so we went out to play .







Linking up here:






13 comments:

  1. What a nice coat! I also made it about a year ago for my youngest and it was a success here as well. And thank you for you nice comment on my blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, good job. Thanks for sharing at the Sunday Round Up.
    Rose @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely coat! I just bought this pattern book in Tokyo and got back from my trip today. I cant wait to dig into the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I love a little girl in a dressy coat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! Well done clever you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so adorable. Wish I have such pattern:)

    Hopping by and following your lovely blog.

    The Quiet Mom @ http://olahmomma.com. You can visit directly to my latest post: http://olahmomma.com/blog/happy-anniversary

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet little coat! I love the soft sheen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sherry, I've featured your Velvet Jacket today...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/05/threading-your-way-features_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another gorgeous finish Sherry! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most of the clothes made in Japan was made with special fabrics that will give you warm during winter and cold feeling during summer.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...