I bought some new fabric on Friday. It was this lovely Japanese fabric, black with bright flowers. I didn't quite know what I was going to make out of it so I went through my pattern stash and decided on New Look 6879
I had previously made "D", the dress with the green collar and hem. This time I chose "A" which is the dress the little girl is modelling. I didn't use on overlay because that would defeat the purpose of choosing a lovely printed fabric.
I broke up the bold print using a pretty pink waist band with a matching pink lining for the bodice. This dress has a super dooper tie at the back which really dresses it up and makes it totally girly.
I co-ordinated the front bow with the dress fabric which ties it altogether nicely.
I love New Look patterns. They are usually very easy to understand and make.
I did however struggle with inserting the zip at the back. I had almost completely sewn it in when I noticed that I was going to have quite a bit of fabric extra when I got to the end of the zip.
I'm not sure why this happened.
If anyone has any tips on how to insert a zip (evenly) I'd love to hear it.
After I unpicked almost the entire zip (grrrrr) I ended up just pulling the fabric slightly from behind and I managed to fix it adaquately.
Overall I am very happy with the results.
I might just have to go to church this Sabbath so my girl can wear her fancy little dress.
Actually she was just as happy to wear it to the local shops tonight to grab some food for tea.
Oh and before I go I just want to show you something.
I bought some size labels the other day. They are from Pink Nellie on Etsy. I LOVE them! They only cost $7.50 AU including postage for 100 labels and I chose the sizes.
This is going to save me some confusion at trying to remember what size I made.
It makes it look a little more professional too :-)