Last night I made my boy a new pair of shorts. They have back and side pockets and a fake fly. I made the shorts out of large black and white gingham with small black and white gingham for the pockets and fly.
They were very quick and easy. I did have one issue though and that was with the fly. I looked and looked at the diagram and couldn't work out how I was supposed to make a cut in the fabric underneath the fly as it had already been sewn down.
|Note the red circle.|
If anyone can read Japanese you may be able to shed some light on what it says to do.
Anyway, I had to ignore the diagram for this little bit and just do it the way I thought it would work. And I'm pleased to say that it all worked out. I was supposed to add 5cm to the pattern for the hem but I like shorts a little longer on my boy so I added 8cm for the extra length.
I had them all finished but my boy was already asleep so I put the elastic in and waited until morning to get the perfect fit. When the elastic was sewn up, they were ready to be worn to school.
He was happy and so was I.