Saturday, 4 August 2012

Vintage pattern alteration


I picked up a vintage pattern from 1981 yesterday at the op shop for 50 cents
and made this dress today.

I thought this pattern was really sweet when I saw it.

One thing I didn't like was the neck opening.
I thought I'd change it to more of a keyhole shape which actually turned out lovely.
I even managed to do this while lining the dress.
Unfortunately the dress was not able to fit over her head :(

I had to cut the opening to make it bigger which made my lovely neat work
look so messy and unfinished. I decided to cover it using a small scrap of stretch lace.

It was size 6 so it was a little large for my daughter who wears a 4-5 at the moment.
I decided to add some shirring to the waist once it was finished which made it fit better.
I have not had a lot of success with shirring but I have a new mechanical machine which handled it heaps better than my computerised machine.
I used this shirring tutorial from Pink Fig.

I also added in some pockets because dresses are more fun with pockets.

Overall I'm very pleased with this dress.

I think the sand is a little cold judging by this expression. 

Linking up here.


  1. Cute dress on a adorable little girl. Stopping by to say Hi from the blog hop. Come visit sometime, tea is cold and no shoes are required. Kathy B. New follower

  2. It is cute but would be not much without the gorgeous model who did such a lovely professional job



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...