Wednesday 31 August 2011

Sun Hat

Hello.

My little 4 month old needed a hat so I scoured through my online tutorials I have collected and decided to make the Forth of July Baby Sun Hat. It looked cute and works well to keep the sun off baby's face. Plus it looked pretty easy. Well not for me!






To start with the pattern was sized for Newborn - 4 Months. I thought I could make the pattern a little bigger by adding an extra bit to the pattern pieces, then when I cut out the fabric I allowed a little bit extra again around the pieces, just in case.


The first problem this created was the rim and main hat pieces didn't fit properly. I knew there would most likely be a problem as I added extra to 4 main hat pieces and only 2 rim pieces. I just couldn't work out how to calculate it so it would match. I ended having to cut some off the main hat piece and then some of the inside edge of the rim.
Next problem was the binding. When joining the binding at the back you were supposed to sew right sides together at the point they meet. Although the directions said to do this, I didn't do it. Why? I don't know. So the finish was not as neat as it could have been. 
Anyway when I had finished the hat looked good enough to wear, except it was massive for my baby :-(


I tried it on my 3 year old and it was too small :-(


It would probably fit a 1-2 year old. I guess I will hold onto it until my baby fits it and I will just have to try another one. Following the directions and pattern pieces perfectly.
I take my hat off (pardon the pun) to anyone who can make their own patterns or can make things without them.
Oh well, better luck next time I guess. 

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about attempting a sun hat... definitely need to add it to my to-do-soon list :) It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite the fact that it's a little on the large size, the hat looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...